The Art Gallery of Northumberland (AGN) is the largest public art gallery in
Northumberland County. Our mandate is to promote and provide access to art and related programs as a community gallery for the enjoyment and education of the people of Northumberland County. We are committed to making the AGN accessible by presenting intellectually stimulating exhibitions and programming, as well as maintain a permanent collection of visual arts.
The AGN is seeking volunteers to be members of the Board of Directors.
Term of position: Directors are elected by the Membership for a three-year term, and may be elected for up to two consecutive terms.
Fiscal year: December 31
Board Term: May to May (3-year term)
Maximum Terms: 2
Meeting Frequency: Monthly.
Reports to: The Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
Time Commitment: Varies with committee involvements and time of year, could range from 5 to 15 hours per month.
1. Attends all meetings of the AGN, the Board and important related meetings;
2. Participates in fundraising for the AGN;
3. Volunteers for and participates in AGN events;
4. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports;
5. Is an active participant in the AGN’s annual evaluation and planning efforts.
6. Committees: there are a number of committees that support the Board and the Staff of AGN. Board members are encouraged to participate in committees and become Chair of Committees as needed.
In addition to the Executive Committee, composed of the President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary, the existing committees are:
- Finance and Audit
Two (2) positions are coming vacant following term retirements. The Board is focused on achieving the priorities of its Strategic Planning Framework. From time to time, different priority areas emerge to support key aspects of its work. This year, the Nominating Committee is giving priority to the following areas:
- Financial and Accounting
- Experience with Not-For-Profit Corporations
- Access to Community Networks
Board Director Expectations:
- Commitment to the organization and willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Ability to think creatively, possess strategic vision and have good and independent judgment.
- Understanding and acceptance of the ethical and legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Willingness to speak frankly and preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the Board.
- The skills to analyze proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and inquiries on an ad hoc basis.
- Some experience of charity finance and fundraising an asset.
Please submit your expression of interest and resumé to Astrid Richardsen, Chair of Nominations Committee Email: firstname.lastname@example.org